What is grit? Grit is a personality trait successful people possess to help them reach their goals. The mindset that builds the foundation for grit are the following 5 characteristics:
1. Courage: It is the ability to look fear straight in the eyes and triumph over it. Knowing that failure could be the case but you have the will power not to let it phase you.
2. Conscientiousness: Is the personality stem closest associated with grit. This personality trait is built out of two factors which are achievement-oriented vs. Dependable. Out of those two, achievement-oriented is the personality trait that produces more success, because it forces you to step out of your comfort zone. While being dependable could cause you to fail to step out of your comfort zone and miss out on opportunities that are presented to you.
3. Long-Term Goals, and Endurance: Goals! Long-term goals keep you motived to fulfill your desires and find your purpose as you go. While this might sound like sunshine and rainbows, it's not. Setting long-term goals will mean you will experience some failure and obstacles along the way. In order to persevere through those difficult times you need some sort of endurance to help you maintain productivity and the fire that is within yourself. Remember without it will be tough to reach new heights. A little tip set some SMART goals to help yourself out to get where you want to be.
4. Resiliency: Ever heard of Get Up 10 ... "Knock me down nine times, but I get up ten" Same analogy applies here. No matter the failures or people who discourage you, you brush it off and keep on going.
5. Strive for Excellence vs. Perfection: Gritty people don’t seek perfection but instead, strive for excellence. Perfection is easy to objectify from other people their values and beliefs. While excellence is tied to attitude knowing that its not an endgame! Excellence brings you value and purpose, while perfection is more associated with a task.
Now let's see if you have grit!
1. Do you have goals or dreams?
Individuals with grit always set goals regardless of where they need to begin they know it’s part of their journey. People with dreams talk about their desires and never take actions to make those dreams come true. They will never be okay with starting from the bottom and working their way up. Compared with people that have grit they are okay with starting from the bottom and building up their experience and knowledge as they go.
2. Are you a morning lark or night Owl?
If you said both you have some grit, grinding hard and long hours is part of reaching your goals.
3. How do you prefer to receive positive and constructive feedback?
The real questions here is am I open to feedback. People with grit are open to receive feedback because they realize it will only help them to become the best version of themselves.
4. How have you dealt with failure and bounced back from it?
When you set your goals, you will face failure or obstacles along the way, that's a given. The most significant part of all of this is to embrace failure when it happens and use it to learn from it and find out what works and what doesn’t. By adopting that mindset, we allow ourselves to improve personally and professionally. How to bounce back from failure? Analyze what went wrong and develop a new strategy over and over until it works.
5. Do you keep a positive attitude during difficult situations?
Managing stress allows you to stay collect and calm. Being aware of that if you allow yourself to lose your composure you will only escalate the situation. If you are aware of this, well then, you possess another element that defines grit.
6. Are you aware of what your priorities are?
People with grit know that success doesn’t come by following the flock. You and only you can define the direction of where your life is heading to. If you are okay with working during the weekends, for example, to provide yourself with a fantastic life in the future. Well, reader welcomes to the grit community.